A national peroxide scare story: How to protect your home, workplace and property from the deadly chemical
A man has died after drinking the potent cleaner, a national peroxid scare story, a Queensland coroner has heard.
The Queensland Coroner’s Court heard on Monday that 22-year-old Chris Mardis, from Bega, had been drinking Peroxide National Peroxide and other household products for three days before he died in the early hours of Wednesday.
The products contain a toxic compound called peroxide which is a potent oxidant and which causes headaches, vomiting and difficulty breathing.
It is highly toxic to the body, and causes headaches and breathing difficulties when ingested, the coroner heard.
“We’re not sure what caused the person to ingest this,” Coroner Michael Larkin said.
“It could be an accidental ingestion, or someone may have had an overdose or someone else might have been in a hurry.”
“There’s no other way to put it.”
Mr Larkin heard that Mr Mardas family had been dealing with the aftermath of his death.
“There was a lot of sadness,” Mr Larkin told reporters.
“His mum has a lot to say about it, he’s been in and out of hospital, his parents have been saying, ‘what are we going to do about this?'”
Mr Larkins’ evidence will be heard on Tuesday.
The coroner said there was no suggestion Mr Mars had taken the product to the bathroom, but there were no signs of foul play in the home, including an open fire.
He told the inquest that the family was concerned for the health and safety of the rest of the family and had called the coroner to tell him of the problem.
“You can imagine the devastation that they’re feeling,” the coroner said.
The ABC’s John Bruns told the hearing that the Coroner was told that Mr Larkin was the father of a girl who was one of the young women in the family.
“The parents have gone through a very, very difficult time, there’s a lot going on,” he said.
Mr LARKIN’S RATING The coroner said he would be very cautious about saying how dangerous Peroxide is to people, but that people should not drink the product or touch it.
“I would be a very cautious person about any assessment of the toxicity of Peroxide,” he told the ABC.
“Peroxide is a dangerous chemical, it’s not a benign chemical.
It is a toxic substance and it should not be consumed.”WHAT THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS ABOUT PEROXID Mr LARKINS evidence was told the product had been sold to Mr Mards family in a grocery store in Brisbane for $30 a bottle, with no warning.
The product is highly flammable and should not, however, be mixed with anything that could cause a fire.
“In the case of Peroxy, you can’t mix Peroxide with any of the chemicals in a gas canister or a gas stove or anything like that,” the Coroners Court heard.WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT PERODOX The National Poison Control Centre (NPCC) advises against mixing Peroxide products with any other flammables.
“If you do mix Peroxy with other flamable substances, you should be aware that you could end up with a very toxic and toxic reaction, and that’s not something you want to be in a position where you can have a potentially dangerous reaction,” it said in a statement.
“While it’s possible to mix Peroxes with other chemicals, it should never be done in any form.”HOW TO PREVENT IT From being stored in a plastic bottle, the product is usually sold in an open container in the fridge, and can also be bought online.
“When you buy it, you need to make sure you have a safe container of water around it,” Mr Marks’ friend, Nick Waugh, told the court.
“This is probably the safest container of Perox to keep in your home.”
“You’re going to have to use some form of cover to get it out of your home,” Mr Waugh added.
Mr Waugh said the family had only started to buy the products because they felt they could afford to.
“At the time they didn’t really know what was going on, they didn, I think, have really a grasp of what was in the products,” he explained.
Mr Mardins’ mum, Tanya Waugh told the coroner that her son’s parents were “really struggling” and “they’re really, really distraught” and had not spoken to them for days.
“He was just one of my best friends,” Ms Waugh’s son, Josh, told reporters outside court.
The NSW Civil Defence Authority said it was assisting the family with the legal costs of their son’s death.